Friday, January 24, 2014

A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Not that Mark Twain knew much about fibre optic cable. If he did he'd realise that he was only talking about seventy milliseconds...!

I often have to provide proposals and quotations in response to customer's tender documents and in the last six months I have seen three such tenders specifying tight-buffered fibre for their internal networks.  When I push their staff engineers for a justification they "um and err" and are easily persuaded to do the right thing (i.e. use spliced loose-tube fibre). If you need to read up then I've written a few things in the past.

Last week I came across the following from the Argosy website;
Tight buffered cables are intended for indoor applications. They are more hardwareing than loose-tube cable, as such they are well suited for long indoor LAN connections, burial or complete even submersion in water. Tight buffered cables have a special two-layer coating. The first layer is plastic, the other a waterproof acrylate.
I wonder if this mis-information is their doing?

No comments: