Monday, February 20, 2006

"The Brits" on ITV, last Thursday

I'd not normally watch this kind of thing but I noticed that there were a few of the bands I liked featured - Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Prince, Mr Weller. So - I fired up the big tele, turned up my good speakers (Harbeth Monitor 30s if you're asking) and sat back. I had bad feelings from the start - the pictures were "film-looked" (sic) and far too saturated. The audio was poor - although the pieces to camera were good the bands sounded awful - a real mush of a mix. The only performance that I was able to sit back and enjoy was Jack Johnson (pictured).

It seems like I wasn't the only engineer to feel this way - see the uk.tech.broadcast thread here.
If you read through you'll see it was shot on LDK-6000 cameras at 1080psf - if this is how future HD television is going to look then I'm dismayed!

No comments: