Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bye bye to BT and traditional telephony!

I blogged ages ago about how I got Skype running with regular DECT 'phones at home. It was a bit of a mission and even if you are happy to use a headset etc. Skype was always going to be a niche solution while it didn't look and drive like a regular 'phone - but here it is, Netgear are launching a Skype-client in a handset that talks to your WiFi router. Why would anyone who has a broadband connection now continue paying for an analogue telephone line?
The cool thing is that you can take it to work (or while you're out and about - Starbuck etc) and your landline number goes with you. As publically accessible WiFi continues to grow (my PDA beeps more than thirty times if I leave it set to log onto unsecured networks on my half-hour/six mile cycle ride to work).

No comments: