Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Phil's IBC report on groovy new cable types!


Some of the most interesting stuff for me was checking out some of the new cable types that Belden have launched. If you click on the data sheet you can see the performance - in the photo the top cable is a sample of their DigiTruck 179DT coax - very similar in form to old-style BBC PSF1/7 but apparently good for 64 metres at single-link HD. I think I'll have to try that before I believe it!
The next cable down in the photo is their new 7731A co-ax - just like a garden hose but supposedly good for 165 metres.
The next one down is a sample of Belden "NanoTwist" cat5 cable - optimized for video-type applications rather than network traffic. The degree of twist difference between the four pairs is minimised w.r.t. normal cat5. I'll be trying this - particularly to see if I can get a Scene Double extender to go any further.
The last piece is called "banana peel" multi-coax. It is intended for A/V applications and can be much more easily terminated than multi SD01.


The thing that disappointed me was that on the fibre front all the cable suppliers were concentrating on the old-school single-mode IP type applications and not the kind of SAN applications we're cabling for.

No comments: